Sometimes it’s all too easy to get lost in the mechanics of writing, and we lose sight of what’s important: the reader, the story, the feeling we get when we hear what the reader thinks of our story. These are the most important things to me as a writer.
Lately I’ve been dealing with a bout of “I Suck Syndrome” or ISS. I know we’ve all been there. In keeping with this month’s theme, I thought I’d create a list of symptoms and remedies.
- Taking NUMEROUS pictures of animals (I mean, they’re so cute. How could you not?)
- Obsessive email/Facebook/Twitter/Pinterest checking (also known as procrastination)
- You find yourself confused or feel like you don’t belong (kind of like my cat chilling in the dog’s crate)
- Heart palpitations whenever thinking about your story
- Random outbursts of “OH MY GOD I NEED CHOCOLATE NOW!”
- Cleaning the house (whenever I clean the house I ask myself, “What am I avoiding?”)
- Tears (nuff said)
- Sudden impulses to delete lots of pages at a time (just make sure you save them!)
- The “I suck” song that plays over and over in your head like a singalong song
- Literally saying, “I suck!” out loud whenever you look over your story
- Writing, deleting, writing, deleting, writing, deleting (you get the idea), because nothing you write that day seems good enough
- The feeling of being trapped, but you don’t know what to do about it
- You find yourself buying more bottles of wine or beer
- The nagging voice in your head refuses to go away
- Numerous trips to the froyo place (red velvet cake batter mixed with caramel is the best combination EVER)
- A chat with a good friend who will make you laugh no matter your mood
- Pictures of animals (can you tell this is therapeutic for me?)
- Video games (killing zombies always helps)
- Reading a book by your favorite author
- The Hugs-and-Chocolate community We love you all, and we hope you know it.
- Curling up with a movie
- Cotton candy
- Sleep (we often forget we need sleep, and sometimes sleep makes us feel so much better
- Coffee or tea
- Treat yourself to your favorite meal,a pedicure, something to pamper yourself
- A walk through a museum
- Have I mentioned animals?